Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful moment in the life of a woman, yet it can be overwhelming and challenging. The body undergoes a great deal of physical and emotional changes during this period. This is also the time when you are highly pampered by your near and dear ones.
While you enjoy all the pampering and love, you must ensure that you take care of your body both physically and mentally as a fit body and mind is very important during pregnancy. It is very important to remember that the mother’s health during pregnancy is vital for a healthy baby.
Staying fit is important at every stage of life, more so during pregnancy. National Health Portal (NHP) of India and American college of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (ACOG) recommend moderate exercises of 20-30 minutes per day during pregnancy. There are many ways to stay active during pregnancy. However, due to the multitude of challenges faced during pregnancy, we need to approach pregnancy fitness from a holistic perspective. A combination of activities like walking, swimming and different fitness routines like Yoga, Aerobics, Pilates etc are highly recommended.
The benefits of exercise during pregnancy are manifold:
1) Exercise can ease and prevent aches and pains of pregnancy including constipation, varicose pains, backaches and exhaustion.
2) Active women seem to be better prepared for labour and delivery and recover more quickly
3) Fit women have an easier time getting back to a healthy weight after delivery
4) Exercise during pregnancy may lower the risk of pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
5) Regular exercise during pregnancy increases the chances of natural delivery among pregnant women and even relatively reducing the risk of cesarean delivery (US National Library of Medicine and National Institute of Health)
6) Exercise during pregnancy helps maintain a positive attitude about yourself, pregnancy and the changes you go through during the 9 months and after.
7) Staying active during pregnancy protects your emotional health and results in a lower risk of depression and anxiety.
8) Exercise during pregnancy helps build your stamina and endurance for the period after childbirth, when you’ll need it most.
If you have exercised before, continue doing so with modifications for pregnancy. If you have not exercised before, it’s not too late. Take your first step towards a healthy and fit pregnancy and start exercising. Always ensure that you check with your doctor before starting any form of exercise during pregnancy.
Check out “Trigunathmika” fitness routines which are specifically designed to help you stay fit and fabulous during pregnancy.
Co-founder & Director-Wellness